Jackfruit Pepper Jack Enchiladas Recipe
Jackfruit is becoming increasingly popular in the vegetarian and vegan communities due to its ability to resemble pulled meat. Read more about the jackfruit and all the benefits. For this recipe, you need a couple of ingredients that are listed here and below:
- 2 cups jackfruit (I found mine canned at Trader Joe’s)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
You also need:
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 can green chili enchilada sauce
- 1 small can of diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- ½ can drained and rinsed black beans
- ½ pound shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Drain and rinse the jackfruit, and shred chunks until they resemble pulled meat. Mix ingredients garlic through chili power with jackfruit, and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes. The jackfruit will turn darker and become softer when it is done.
- Mix jackfruit, black beans, green chilies, sour cream, cumin, half the can of enchilada sauce, and half the cheese until combined. Spoon out some of the mixture onto a tortilla and roll up. Repeat with all 10 tortillas.
- Place tortillas in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, adding the rest of the cheese on top for the last 5 minutes.