Active Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
A summertime favorite gets an Italian spin in this delicious side dish with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. You can use zucchini or summer squash in this caprese-style casserole, or a combination of the two. A sprinkling of fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar just before serving brightens up the flavors.
- 2 medium zucchini and/or summer squash, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallot
- ¼ cup chopped basil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¾ cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-by-8- or 7-by-10-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange squash and tomatoes decoratively, like rows of shingles (some may need to be cut in half), in the prepared dish.
- Combine shallot, 1/4 cup basil, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Bake until the vegetables are tender and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons basil. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if desired.
86 Calories, Total Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 9 mg, Carbohydrates: 5 g, Fiber: 1 g, Total Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 296 mg, Potassium: 325 mg, Iron: 0 mg, Folate: 29 mcg, Calcium: 120 mg, Vitamin A: 808 IU, Vitamin C: 18 mg
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.