Author: Sarah Fritschner
Photographer: Ken Burris
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Total Time: 20 minutes
The flavors of Italy are best expressed in simplicity: a dash of spices, a little oil and dinner’s on the table in minutes—especially if you use frozen spinach and frozen ravioli or tortellini.
- 1 20-ounce package frozen cheese ravioli or tortellini (4 cups)
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen chopped or whole-leaf spinach
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook ravioli (or tortellini) according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add salt, crushed red pepper to taste, spinach and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach has thawed, wilted and heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. Divide among 4 bowls, top with the pasta and drizzle 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil over each portion. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
Per serving: 263 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 5 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (270% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (44% dv), Calcium (35% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving(s)
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat
Recipe by EatingWell.com. © Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.