As St. Patrick’s Day approaches, McDonald’s has brought back its popular but extremely high-calorie Shamrock Shake. A 16-ounce shake packs about 680 calories — more than half the allotted daily calories for some people. Try this leaner, equally delicious alternative.
Vanilla frozen yogurt
½ cup skim milk
1 tsp. mint extract
3 drops green food coloring
3 Tbsp. whipped cream
Optional ingredients (for toppings):
Mini chocolate chips
- Add all recipe ingredients into a blender except the whipped cream.
- Blend on medium speed until desired thickness is achieved.
- Pour mixture into a glass. Add whipped and decorative toppings to your liking.
Be careful not to add too much mint extract. A little can go a long way.
Not a fan of brain freeze? Try turning this into a smoothie instead. Here are some other ways to get creative with this recipe:
- Replace frozen yogurt with regular vanilla yogurt.
- Remove the green food coloring.
- Add 1 cup spinach. (You can also add kale or other green veggies for color.)
Serves 1 (approximately 8 oz.).
Approximate nutrition information per serving:
262 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 47 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams protein