Why wait until New Year’s Day to start improving your habits? Here are some tips to make positive changes even before January 1.
- Don’t go overboard with holiday meals. Offer to bring a healthy option to parties. Limit your favorite treats to a small portion, and don’t keep tempting leftovers in the house.
- Watch the calories in alcoholic beverages – they add up quickly. Opt for diet soda or sparkling water to mix with your drinks instead of high-calorie juices or sweetened beverages.
- Take caroling to the next level – plan out your route ahead of time and see how many miles you can cover.
- Take your mall shopping seriously. Do a lap of the perimeter between each stop. Trying parking further away and taking the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
Keep Your Stress in Check
- Don’t let holiday stress get the best of you! When you feel overwhelmed, take a few deep breaths – it will help you think more clearly.
- Take advantage of time off work to focus on getting a full eight hours of sleep each night. You’ll feel better and be more productive after a good night’s sleep.
Give the Gift of Good Health
- Join a local fitness facility or take a fitness class together as a family.
- Give gifts that encourage good health, like pedometers, fitness equipment, or a certificate for a healthy cooking class or massage.