Last summer my fiancé and I purchased our first house! After saving up again, we are excited to start renovating and making the house our home.
If you are planning more than just spring cleaning and are renovating too, here are a few tips to tackle the challenges of home renovations:
1. Use organization as a primer.
To prepare for the chaos and mess that will invade my home, I have stated to label everything to save time during the renovation, as well as after!
Since the master bedroom will be the first renovation, before we move our clothes and shoes we plan to go through everything first and donate what we don’t need or haven’t worn. This will make more room in our new closet and less for us to move!
2. Don’t let stress build up.
To not blow a fuse, I plan to use these stress management techniques.
3. Home renovation dreams need sleep.
Though I am dreaming of shiplap and rose gold finishes in my kitchen, the renovation will not happen overnight. I plan to spend each night getting a good night’s sleep to recharge for the next day. If I find sleeping a challenge, I will use these tricks to fall asleep faster!
4. Level yourself with a walk.
Small steps in the renovations process add up to big changes! The same with walking, adding up steps helps me feel refreshed and refocused!
5. Construct better meals while remodeling your kitchen.
Having no kitchen access for several days does not mean you have to eat out for every meal. First, find out what you can have access to. For example I will not be able to use my oven, stove, or dishwasher. I will have access to the refrigerator and grill, and will move the microwave and crock pot. Next start the preparations! My plans include:
- Planning my meals in advance so I can prepare and pre-cook!
- As an example, I will precook whole grain pasta which I can later top with grilled chicken and grilled vegetables. I will even pre-cut the chicken and vegetables to make the cooking process faster! Also, I am planning to prepare easy storable side dishes such as the Italian Quinoa Salad, have frozen vegetables ready to use, and purchase prepackaged salad mixes.
- Stocking upon the disposable cups, plates, and cutlery.
- I also plan to stock up on fruit and nuts to have as healthy snacks.
Knowing I am the general contractor of my own health during the renovation has me making estimates and drawing up plans to use these five tips for staying healthy!
To help design your own goals to stay healthy during a renovation, contact a health coach at 1-800-807-0751, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., or Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.