August is a popular time to pack up and take a vacation. But how secure is your home? With the rush to get packed and out the door on time, we often forget to carry out a home-safety check. A few quick and easy steps can keep your home secure. According to safety experts, here are a few key factors to follow. I use them myself. Check them out!
- If you have a security system, remember to use it. While the outdoor signage is a deterrent to potential break-ins, it’s essential to set the alarm before leaving.
- Double check that all of your doors and windows are locked. This is especially true for less frequently used doors and windows that you might accidentally leave open.
- Store valuables in your child’s room. Thieves tend to skip children’s rooms and focus on the master bedroom. Avoid leaving a jewelry box on the bureau.
- Avoid loading up your car the night before if you park your vehicle outside. It’s a major sign that you’ll be leaving for a trip. Instead pack up the car quickly right when you’re ready to leave.
- Remember to stop your mail and newspaper deliveries. And have a neighbor or friend stop by to pick up any deliveries or flyers left on your doorstep.
Other tips you have to share?