YIELD 4 servings
ACTIVE TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 45 minutes
Breadcrumbs are swapped for quinoa for a healthy take on classic Chicken Parmesan in this easy dinner recipe. Serve with a mixed green salad with red-wine vinaigrette.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup low-sodium marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to get 4 roughly equal portions. Place between pieces of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or heavy saucepan to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lightly beat egg in a shallow dish. Combine quinoa, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a separate shallow dish. Dip the chicken in egg, shaking off any excess, then in the quinoa, pressing to help it stick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 chicken breasts and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 chicken breasts. Top each breast with 1/4 cup marinara, 2 tablespoons mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbling, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve topped with basil.
- Marinara sauces can be high in sodium (often more than 20 percent of your daily limit per 1/2-cup serving). Opt for one labeled “low-sodium” or check the nutrition panel and go for one that’s lower in sodium, about 250 mg per serving or less.
Per serving433 Calories, Total Fat: 19 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 143 mg, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Fiber: 4 g, Total Sugars: 4 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 37 g, Sodium: 550 mg, Potassium: 620 mg, Folate: 63 mcg, Calcium: 190 mg
Carbohydrate Servings 1 1/2
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.