YIELD 4 servings, 2 cups salad & 3 ounces salmon each
ACTIVE TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 30 minutes
This traditional Italian bread salad is full of tomatoes and cucumber and gets a protein boost with the addition of grilled salmon.
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thick slices day-old whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled (if desired), seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 pound center-cut salmon, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat grill to high.
- Whisk olives, vinegar, capers and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until combined. Add bread, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and basil.
- Oil the grill rack. Season both sides of salmon with salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill the salmon until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with a piece of salmon.
- If using fresh bread, you can grill the bread slices along with the salmon and then cut them into cubes. Alternatively, cut bread into cubes, place on a baking sheet and bake at 300°F until dry.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- To skin salmon, place the salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
Per serving358 Calories, Total Fat: 21 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 72 mg, Carbohydrates: 14 g, Fiber: 5 g, Total Sugars: 4 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 29 g, Sodium: 386 mg, Potassium: 975 mg, Folate: 47 mcg, Calcium: 100 mg
Carbohydrate Servings 1
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.