YIELD: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
Nonfat milk and a bit of sharp cheddar combine to make a rich sauce without all the butter usually found in gratins.
- 4 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets (about ½ large head)
- 1½ cups nonfat milk, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring cauliflower, 1¼ cups milk, and salt to a boil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, ¼ cup cheese and oil in a small bowl. Whisk flour and the remaining ¼ cup milk in another small bowl until smooth; stir the mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining ½ cup cheese, chives, mustard, and pepper. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
185 calories, total fat: 8 g,
saturated fat: 5 g, cholesterol: 24 mg, carbohydrates: 17 g, fiber: 2 g, total
sugars: 6 g, added sugars: 0 g, protein: 11 g, sodium: 366 mg, potassium: 314
folate: 34 mcg, calcium: 277 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Recipe by EatingWell. © Meredith Corp. All rights reserved. Used with permission.