YIELD: 4 servings, about 1½ cups each
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
This spinach salad tossed with spunky ginger dressing was inspired by the iceberg salads served at Japanese steakhouses across the U.S. Add shrimp for lunch or a light supper.
- 3 Tbsp. minced onion
- 3 Tbsp. peanut or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- Combine onion, oil, vinegar, ginger, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper in a blender. Process until combined.
- Toss spinach, carrot, and bell pepper with the dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS:
- Cover and refrigerate the dressing (step 1) for up to 5 days.
- People with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity should use soy sauces that are labeled “gluten-free” as soy sauce may contain wheat or other gluten-containing sweeteners and flavors.
135 calories, total fat: 11 g,
saturated fat: 2 g, cholesterol: 0 mg, carbohydrates: 9 g, fiber: 3 g, total
sugars: 4 g, added sugars: 1 g, protein: 3 g, sodium: 391 mg, potassium: 559
folate: 157 mcg, calcium: 82 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: ½ Recipe by EatingWell. © Meredith Corp. All rights reserved. Used with permission.