YIELD 4 servings
ACTIVE TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 30 minutes
Skip the tortillas and layer your taco fillings onto protein-rich quinoa in this healthy vegetarian bowl dinner recipe. Top with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and a splash of your favorite hot sauce.
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4½ cups very thinly sliced cabbage (about 1/4 medium head)
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup salsa
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in cumin. Partially cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cabbage and onion; toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add poblano and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beans and chili powder; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- To serve, layer in each bowl: 3/4 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Top each portion with 3/4 cup cabbage salad and 2 tablespoons salsa.
Per serving478 Calories, Total Fat: 22 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Carbohydrates: 53 g, Fiber: 12 g, Total Sugars: 11 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 20 g, Sodium: 658 mg, Potassium: 833 mg, Folate: 171 mcg, Calcium: 314 mg
Carbohydrate Servings 3
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.