Do you have plans to hit the road this summer? You’ve earned a vacation, but you can’t afford to forget about safety. According to the National Safety Council, a motor vehicle accident occurs every 12 minutes.
Why so many accidents? Sometimes road conditions or vehicle problems play a role — but driver error is the most common cause of accidents. Driver error includes speeding, aggressive driving, and distracted driving.
You can avoid driver error by staying aware of yourself and your surroundings. Follow these driving tips every time you get behind the wheel:
Keep your speed in check.
- Know the current speed limit, and monitor your speedometer throughout your trip.
- Adjust your speed to current driving conditions.
- Allow plenty of time to reach your destination without speeding.
Drive with the right attitude.
- Drive in the appropriate lanes.
- Yield to traffic that has the right of way.
- Don’t tailgate: Use the three seconds rule.
- Pay attention to other drivers’ behavior only as it relates to your safety. Don’t react with strong emotions.
Don’t try to multitask in the driver’s seat.
- Don’t use your cell phone or any hand held electronic device when driving.
- Don’t eat, drink, or smoke while driving.
- Set the radio and climate controls before starting your trip. While you are driving, have a passenger make any adjustments.
- Pull over if you must take attention off the road to do something else. Your life is worth more than a few minutes of travel time.
Whether you are driving to work or a hotel on the beach, paying attention is key to arriving safely. And of course, always drive sober and wear a seat belt.
This post is brought to you by UPMC WorkPartners. UPMC WorkPartners provides health and productivity solutions for high-performing companies throughout the United States. Services include on-site health centers, employee assistance services, leave management, commercial workers’ compensation, and more.
For more information about workers’ compensation or any of our UPMC WorkPartners services, visit www.workpartners.com or call 1-866-229-3507.