Baked cinnamon sugar donut recipe
This past Sunday, I was in the mood for a sweet breakfast treat but didn’t feel like venturing out in the cold to the bakery. Instead I found a recipe for a baked donut-flavored muffin and tweaked it to be slightly lower in fat. Using a donut-shaped baking pan, I was able to save the extra calories and still enjoy a treat for breakfast — without leaving the house. You can bake these in a donut pan, mini-muffin tin (to make donut “holes”) or in a regular muffin tin.
For the donuts:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp.. fat free plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and spray pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar and egg until well combined, then stir in yogurt, oil, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients until well mixed.
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing JUST until combined — over-stirring can make the final product too dense.
- Fill doughnut pan ¾ full or muffin tins ⅔ full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, depending on which pan you are using. When done, the doughnuts/muffins will spring back when gently pressed.
- Cool in pan for three minutes. Melt butter and whisk together sugar and cinnamon.
- Dip tops of the doughnuts or muffins in the melted butter (or brush with a pastry brush) and press into cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Approximate nutrition facts:
- For 12 doughnuts or muffins: 135 calories, 4.8 grams fat, 22 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams protein
- For 24 mini muffins: 67 calories, 2.4 grams fat, 11 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram protein