Eat more, weigh less? Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, wrong! Healthy snacks are an essential part of a well-balanced diet and can actually help prevent you from overeating at your next meal.
Eating healthy doesn’t have to mean sacrifice and eating boring foods. It’s all about properly fueling your body, and snacks are part of the equation.
Here are five of our health-coach approved snacks, all about 150 or fewer calories of deliciousness:
- Almonds. This easy, portable snack option is packed with protein! One serving (about 23 almonds) has a whopping 6 grams — plus 14 grams of heart-healthy unsaturated fat.
- Rice cake with all-natural peanut butter. If you’re looking for an afternoon crunch, turn to plain rice cakes and a teaspoon of all natural peanut butter. The peanut butter is the perfect topper because it’s loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and keeps you feeling fuller longer due to the fiber and protein.
- Baked apple. In the mood for something warm and tasty? Core an apple, dust with cinnamon, and bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Or, if you’re on the go, you can just grab an apple for an easy portable snack. Fresh or cooked, apples have about 200 milligrams of potassium per cup.
- Frozen grapes. Frozen grapes are perfect when you’re craving something sweet and cold. Grapes are also jam-packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients so you can satisfy your sweet tooth and still get some health benefits.
- Baby carrots and hummus. This snack is packed with nutrients and satisfies your craving for something crunchy. Carrots are rich in vitamins like vitamin A. Hummus is made of chick peas, so you get a dose of protein and additional nutrients.
Have a favorite healthy snack to share with us? Leave your comments below for readers to try!