A resource guide for UPMC Health Plan members.
The best way to protect yourself from the flu is to get vaccinated. Even if you’re healthy, you can get very sick from the flu and spread the virus to others. That’s why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) urges everyone 6 months of age and older to get an annual flu shot.
With the COVID-19 pandemic still affecting the country, it’s more important than ever to stop the spread of illness by getting your flu shot this year.
Protect yourself and others
The viruses that cause the flu and COVID-19 are different, but they can cause similar symptoms.
It’s important to protect yourself and to stay as healthy as possible by getting the flu vaccine. This will help reduce the number of flu cases in our community and make it easier for health care providers to focus on patients who need care for COVID-19.
Check out the CDC’s COVID-19 overview for information on everything from reducing the spread and understanding symptoms to getting tested. To learn more about how UPMC Health Plan is supporting members during the pandemic, visit our COVID-19 resource page.
Want to get the flu shot but unsure about the next steps? We’ve got you covered.
What your flu shot will cost you
This preventive vaccine is free for you and your family members who also have UPMC Health Plan insurance.
Where to get your free flu shot
This preventive vaccine is available at:
- Primary care providers’ (PCP) and pediatricians’ offices. Find a doctor or provider in the UPMC Health Plan network.
- Many in-network pharmacies, including Rite Aid, Giant Eagle, Giant Food Stores, and Martin’s Food Markets.* Children 3 and older can now get their flu shot at a local pharmacy.
- Participating UPMC Health Plan Drive-thru Flu Clinics locations
Flu shot providers are taking steps to keep you safe from COVID-19. Follow the safety measures in place at the location you visit. If you will plan to visit a UPMC facility, learn more about the visitation policies UPMC has in place to keep patients safe. Text FLU5 to 478-762 to find flu shot providers in your area.
Members outside of Pennsylvania can get the flu shot at any nearby pharmacy and submit a reimbursement form using the links below.
If you have already paid for your flu shot:
This preventive vaccine is free and easy for you and members of your family that are also enrolled in a UPMC Health Plan product.
If you have to pay for your shot, we will reimburse you.
- To submit online, simply log in or register on MyHealth OnLine and fill out a reimbursement form.
- UPMC employees can submit online by logging in to MyHealth OnLine and following this path: Menu > Forms and Guides
- University of Pittsburgh faculty and staff can submit online by logging in to my.Pitt.edu and following this path: My Resources > Human Resources > MyHealth Access > Menu > Forms and Guides
- To submit through the mail, download this form and mail it in.
Get common flu questions answered:
- Learn more about preventing your exposure to the flu and why you should get vaccinated.
- Learn about all our preventive services and screenings.
- Browse the CDC influenza (flu) website for information on everything from how to identify symptoms to best treatments.
Have questions or need additional help?
- Member Services can help you find a new provider or get reimbursed for your flu shot. Call the number on your member ID card or stop by one of our UPMC Health Plan Connect Center locations for in-person assistance.
*Pennsylvania pharmacies, by state law, are only permitted to administer the flu vaccine to children ages 3 and older.