Lentil Tacos Recipe: A Tasty, Plant-Based Meal
Lentil tacos are a plant-based meal sure to become a family favorite! Whether you’re trying to cut back on meat, or just want a little more variety in your diet, these may become a staple in your dinner rotation. Try them out on your next taco Tuesday!
- 2/3 cup brown lentils, uncooked
- 6 cups plus 2/3 cup water, separated
- 1 15-oz. can of reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package of low-sodium taco seasoning
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- 8 oz. low-fat sour cream
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- Optional: hot sauce and/or salsa
- In a medium-sized pot, boil 6 cups of water. Rinse the uncooked lentils and place into boiling water for 20-25 minutes, until tender. Rinse and drain the cooked lentils.
- Place the lentils back into the pot. Add the black beans, taco seasoning, and 2/3 cup of water. Heat on medium heat, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the lentil mixture equally between the tortillas. Top each with sour cream, tomatoes, and avocado, as well as optional hot sauce and/or salsa, if desired.
Approximated per serving
- Serving size: 1 taco
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 7 grams
- Protein: 9 grams