I am always looking for healthy grab-and-go breakfast and options that don’t break the bank or take all day to prepare. This week I experimented with a new twist on muffins with oatmeal. The great thing about this recipe: You can keep it interesting by adding any flavor you wish.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of low fat milk (regular, soy, goat, almond)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups of oats
- 1 cup of flavoring (chocolate chips, fruit, or any other creative ideas you have)
In my photos you will see blackberry and chocolate chips (both were delicious).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine bananas, vanilla, sugar, and egg and beat until smooth.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon, and oats.
- Stir in toppings.
- Fill muffin tins (I highly recommend the silicone ones) ½ to ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold but store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 70 (without fillings), 120 with chocolate, 114 with fruit
- Fat: 4 g (without fillings)
- Carbohydrates: 28 g (without fillings)
- Protein: 4 g (without fillings)