My fellow health coach, Angela, shared this recipe idea with me. I love this recipe for its simplicity and versatility. By combining a few ingredients in the morning and letting this cook all day long, your main dish is ready to go at dinner time! All you need to get started are three ingredients.
2 raw, skinless chicken breasts
1 12-oz. jar salsa
1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning*
Diced onion and diced bell peppers, optional
- Pour about ½ cup of salsa in crockpot.
- Add chicken breasts (and vegetables, if using).
- Top with seasoning. Add remaining salsa.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, until chicken reaches 165 F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove from crockpot and shred into bite sized pieces, using two forks.
- Use in whole-wheat tortillas with low-fat cheese for quick quesadillas. Add to crispy taco shells with fresh vegetables for simple tacos. Or make it a flavorful salad topping.
With fat-free refried beans and brown rice, this Mexican meal can be healthy and easy!
*If you can’t find low-sodium taco seasoning, you can make your own! Combine ¼ tsp. (or more, for larger recipes) of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of crushed red pepper (or more, to taste). If you still think you need salt, add it sparingly.