Grilled fruit salad with blackberry vinaigrette
Memorial Day is closing in fast, and picnic season will officially be in full swing. Try something a little lighter to take to your picnic this summer that will keep everyone coming back for more!
For the dressing:
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 tbsp. shallot, diced small
- ½ tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Dash salt and pepper
For the fruit salad:
- 1 large nectarine
- 1-inch thick wedge watermelon (yields 1 cup)
- Olive oil to lightly coat fruit
- 1 cup cucumber with skin, sliced
- 1 oz. pine nuts
- 4 oz. Manchego cheese
- Make the dressing by heating 1 tsp. oil in pan, and sautéing shallot for 1-2 minutes. Add berries, honey, champagne vinegar, salt and pepper, and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the berries release their juice.
- Pour berry mixture into a blender, and blend on low speed. Gradually increase the speed and slowly pour remaining oil into the berries. Chill dressing and store for up to 3 days.
- Preheat grill for the fruit salad; about 10 minutes on medium.
- Toast pine nuts in a warm, dry skillet for about 7 minutes, until golden brown.
- Halve the nectarine and remove the pit. Brush both the nectarine halves and watermelon slice with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill the nectarine, about 4 minutes on each side, and the watermelon, about 3 minutes on each side, and allow fruit to cool enough to handle.
- Cut the watermelon into ½-inch cubes, and each nectarine half into 6 slices.
- Toss the watermelon, nectarines, cucumbers and pine nuts together, and grate the cheese on top using a cheese grater. Chill salad.
- Just before serving, pour dressing onto salad, and toss.
Nutrition information: This recipe provides 135 calories, 11 grams of fat, 7 grams of carbohydrates, and 4 grams of protein per ½-cup serving.