Looking for a snack that’s on the healthier side?
Chips, pretzels, and crackers may be a go-to salty snack when your hunger strikes. But there are a lot of other options besides the typical snack aisle! One of my current favorites is Roasted Chickpeas!
One cup of cooked chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) contains 269 calories, 45 grams of carbohydrate, 15 grams of protein, 13 grams of dietary fiber, 4 grams of fat, and 0 grams of cholesterol. Besides being an excellent vegan and gluten-free source of protein and fiber, chickpeas also contain exceptional levels of iron, vitamin B-6, and magnesium. Chickpeas may benefit heart and bone health and provide protection against inflammation, high cholesterol, digestion, diabetes, and cancer.
Roasted chickpeas are easy to make, and even more addictive to eat! Just a few ingredients and you have the perfect snack!
- 1-2 15-oz. cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Spices of your choice (see below for some spice combinations)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain chickpeas and rinse with water.
- Lay on paper towel or towel and pat dry.
- Note: Some beans will have skin on them — you can either discard the skin or leave it on.
- Place beans on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, coating chickpeas.
- Place in oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Immediately season with your favorite seasonings.
Experiment with seasoning combinations. Here are a few to try:
- Parmesan garlic = ¼ cup Parmesan cheese + 1 tsp. garlic powder + ½ tsp. salt + ¼ tsp. pepper
- Sesame soy = 1 tsp. sesame oil + 1 tsp. garlic powder + 1 tsp. salt + 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Honey cinnamon = 1 tsp. cinnamon, a pinch nutmeg, ¼ tsp. sea salt, 2 Tbsp. honey (you can throw these back in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes to caramelize if you like)
- Spicy = 1½ tsp. chili powder + 1½ tsp. ground cumin + ¼ tsp. salt + ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Smoky Spice Blend = ½ tsp. ancho chili powder + ½ tsp. smoked paprika + 1/2 tsp. garlic powder + 1/2 tsp. cumin + 1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper + ½ tsp. sea salt + pinch cayenne (optional)
- Salt and vinegar = ½ tsp. salt + pinch of black pepper + 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Cajun blend = ½ tsp. salt + ½ tsp. garlic powder + ½ tsp. paprika + ¼ tsp. black pepper + ¼ tsp. onion powder + ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper + ¼ tsp. dried oregano + ¼ tsp. dried thyme
Don’t feel limited to these combinations! Be creative and try coming up with your own!