A Health Coach Review
In my previous post about the Peloton, I talked about how companies are developing new and innovative ways to bring fitness classes into people’s homes. The Mirror workout technology is building upon this trend.
This trend has been gaining ground thanks to the fact that “time” is the number one barrier to being physically active. Work and family demands have changed over the past 20 years, now group fitness classes are changing with them. With the Mirror workout, classes and personal training sessions are being delivered right in the comfort of people’s own homes.
What is the Mirror workout?
The Mirror is a specially designed 70lbs screen where you can see the monitor display behind your reflection. It allows you see your form, the instructor, the time left in the class, total calories burned, current heart rate, the next upcoming exercise, the total number of participants in class, and even participant profile photos.
The Mirror can be mounted on the wall or it can be securely leaned against a wall with anchors. A Mirror workout offers cardio, strength, Yoga, Barre, Pilates, boxing, and HIIT classes which are led by the certified instructors from the country’s top fitness studios. Depending on your schedule classes, can be accessed through a live-stream or on-demand. There are over 50 new live classes each week, which are available to your whole household.
For a one-on-one personal training session, Mirror is currently working on an option that will utilize the built-in camera and microphone. Don’t worry, though, the camera and microphone will only be turned on with your permission.
Pros and cons of the Mirror workout
After conducting extensive research on the Mirror workout technology (unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to use it at home), here are my pros and cons:
- Convenience, convenience, and convenience. Fitness classes are available right in the comfort of your own home, on your own schedule.
- You can take classes from cardio to boxing or yoga anytime.
- It cuts down on the time you spend traveling to the gym.
- You’ll never get stuck in traffic or have to drive through severe weather to get your workout in.
- Their app allows you to participate in classes on the go which means you can keep up your routine even while traveling.
- You can work out with friends who have the mirror to help you stay on track.
- The Mirror can sync with a Bluetooth heart rate monitor to use your biometric data allowing you to receive real-time workout personalization.
- You control the music during the class. You can choose from the curated Mirror playlist or you can create your own.
- Receive personalized shout-outs from the instructor who can see your profile and data from your heart rate monitor.
- The price tag! At $1,495 the Mirror will certainly burn a whole in your pocket.
- The monthly subscription cost of $39 a month for up to six total users in your household.
- Depending on the classes you want to take you might have to purchase additional equipment like a yoga mat, dumbbells for strength training, or a Bluetooth heart rate monitor.
In summary: the future is here! Whether you decide the Mirror is for you or not, we can all agree that the model it offers is a step towards overcoming the barriers to physical activity that many experience. Stay tuned for the next product that promises to change the game. We’ll let you know what we think when it hits shelves!