I started a tradition of making different crock-pot recipes with my college roommate every Sunday during football season and my absolute favorite is the chili recipe we came up with. Chili is perfect for the cold fall and winter days where you just want to stay inside and keep warm.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 3 large peppers (diced)
- ½ large sweet onion (diced)
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet (use a small amount of olive oil).
- Season the turkey with chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste.
- While browning the ground turkey, chop carrots, peppers, and onion.
- Once the ground turkey is completely cooked, turn on the crockpot to high setting and add all ingredients together.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Turn the crockpot to low and add additional chili powder.
- Chili should cook for 5 to 6 hours, or until the vegetables are soft. Make sure to stir chili every couple hours and add additional chili powder to taste.
Approximate nutrition information per serving: 180 calories, 3g fat, 24g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 15g protein