With fall here, I’m starting to crave savory and comforting foods more and light fruit recipes less. This Spicy Fall Kale Salad recipe does the trick and is hearty enough to satisfy my fall food craving. If you want to try something new, this kale salad can be eaten as a meal or as a side!
- 20 large kale leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ clove garlic
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 slice good quality sourdough bread
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- Toast pine nuts in a warm, dry skillet for about 7 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Toast the slice of bread until golden brown, then crush into breadcrumbs by crumbling with your hands. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the kale leaves. Cut out the center rib and discard. Slice the leaves into ribbons and place in a medium bowl.
- Blend the garlic and olive oil until the garlic is fully smashed. Add the lemon juice, cheese, and chili flakes
- Pour the dressing over the kale, and toss to fully coat the leaves.
- Top each serving of salad with some of the toasted breadcrumbs and pine nuts. Add more grated cheese if desired.
- Serve within an hour after dressing it to avoid wilting leaves!