The holiday season is upon us, which means one thing: holiday eating! Between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, most people find themselves at more than one holiday dinner or party—and nothing gets a holiday gathering going like a round of delicious appetizers. Transform your holiday season by adding delicious plant-based appetizers to your menu. Whether you’re new to plant-based cooking or you’ve been cutting back on meat for a while, these recipes are sure to satisfy.
Easy, plant-based appetizers
- Fruit and veggie tray: Keep it simple with a two-sided tray—one side for fruits and the other for veggies. Get two dips to match: one savory and one sweet!
- Snack board: Snack boards are easy crowd-pleasers. You can fill yours with different types of hummus, cheese balls, dried fruits, jellies, nuts, and crackers.
- Seven-layer dip: This dip is a classic for a reason. The combination of sour cream, guacamole, beans, salsa, and more is always a hit. Just bring some chips for dipping and serve.
- Bruschetta with balsamic glaze: Grab baguette rounds and top them with a homemade mix of chopped tomatoes, basil, onion, and garlic. Finish with a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar for a perfectly balanced snack.
- Edamame with sesame seeds: When it comes to finger foods, edamame is a simple and nutritious option. Grab a bag of frozen beans and cook till tender. Toss the beans in light soy sauce and top them with sesame seeds for a delicious snack.
- Fresh salsa: Everyone loves the fresh taste of homemade salsa—but you can make yours with a refreshing twist! Start with a classic salsa base (chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, peppers, and garlic) and then add chopped mango or blueberries for a new spin on the classic party food. Pair with a bowl of tortilla chips and enjoy!
More plant-based appetizer recommendations
If you’re looking for more complex options, you’re in luck. Here are some other plant-based dishes your guests will love:
- Mint, apple, and pomegranate salad
- Slow cooker spinach artichoke dip
- Mediterranean cauliflower pizza recipe
- Vegetable mini lasagnas
- Hummus recipes
- Garlic and cracked pepper roasted pumpkin seeds
- Chickpea platter
- Sweet potato puffs
- Butternut squash chili
- Zucchini tots
- Pumpkin pie dip
- Lightened-up coleslaw
- Spaghetti squash and red quinoa fritters
- Roasted chickpeas
- Roasted vegetable nachos
- Honey balsamic roasted brussels sprouts
- Guacamole and chips
- Healthy holiday cookies
- Avocado chocolate truffles
- Lightened-up mini chocolate cheesecakes
Whip one of these up to wow at a potluck! If you are planning your own party and aren’t sure where to start, aim for a few finger foods, one or two dips with chips to match, and a nice drink or two (try one of our low-calorie holiday cocktails or “mocktails”). Which of these plant-based appetizers will you try this year?